Defining Roles and Building Effective Relationships
Do these questions sound familiar?
- Where do we find a qualified consultant?
- How do we know we’ve got the best consultant for the project?
- Who makes the final decision on hiring – the director? The board?
- We are ready to hire a staff person. What job do we fill? If we don’t really know how to run a historical society, how will we be able to evaluate our candidates?
- We’ve got a great new director. Now, how do we create a great working relationship between the board and the director?
It’s not always easy to divide the many responsibilities associated with running a historical society and museum between members of the board, paid and volunteer staff, and consultants. During this fast-paced 2.5 hour workshop, you will hear from Jennifer Eifrig, a principal of Museview 360, Catherine K. Fields, Executive Director of the Litchfield Historical Society, and Marge Smith, Curator of the Kent Historical Society. Each will share their insights on hiring a first staff member, managing the transition from a board-run organization to one with permanent staff, ensuring good communication between the Board and the Executive Director, and locating, hiring and working with a museum consultant. There will be ample time for questions and answers. All are invited to register. This program is designed to address issues contained in both the Mission, Vision & Governance and Management sections in the StEPs Program.
When: Tuesday, February 23, 2015
Time: 9:30 am to Noon
Where: Connecticut Historical Society, 1 Elizabeth Street, Hartford, CT
For more information and to register, please click on the button below: