1750 Ogden House Tours

This saltbox house was built in 1750 for David Ogden at the time of his marriage to Jane Sturges. For the next 125 years it was home for the Ogden family in the farming and coastal shipping town of Fairfield. The house provides a glimpse into the life of a middle-class colonial family. The house is furnished with furniture, glassware, wheels for producing linen and woolen items and other items from the Fairfield Museum’s Collections. The Ogden House is owned and operated by the Fairfield Museum and History Center and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Ogden House Garden, an 18th century style kitchen garden, has been planned, planted and generously maintained by the Fairfield Garden Club, an affiliate of The Garden Club of America. The recently expanded garden features raised beds, walkways of crushed sea shells with plants and herbs typical of those used at the time. Responding to the threat of the Honey Bee Colony Collapse Disorder the Fairfield Museum and the Fairfield Garden Club started an Apiary in 2013 introducing beehives to Ogden House colonial gardens. The honey, cultivated and jarred by Fairfield Garden Club members, is sold through the Fairfield Museum Shop. In the past three years, hundreds of school children have visited the Ogden House Herb Garden and discovered the traditions of beekeeping, gardening in Colonial times.

Sundays, 1-3:30pm from June 3 – September 30, 2018 and by appointment.

Phone:  203‑259‑1598
Website: https://www.fairfieldhistory.org/visit/ogden-house/

 

1520 Bronson Road, Fairfield, CT.

FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendlyGoogle GmailShare

Comments are closed.